MMMM....GOOD !

     Keeping with tradition, here in Western Pennsylvania, I made pork and sauerkraut for dinner on January 1st. Eating sauerkraut on New Years is supposed to bring good luck in the new year. So I went on-line to find a recipe that would be different than the usual...and I found it!...at http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/
I think this was the best pork roast I have ever eaten. I even sent her an e-mail and told her so!
Here's the recipe:
Sauerkraut Pork Roast
1 pork shoulder roast  - 4 to 6 pounds
2 - 15 ounce cans of sauerkraut
2 onions, sliced
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (yes, tablespoon)
1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple juice - or 1/2 cup each water and applesauce
You need a crockpot or slow cooker to prepare this recipe.

Place the pork roast in the crockpot or cooker. Add the sauerkraut on top, and then the sliced onions.
Sprinkle the cinnamon and caraway seeds over the top of the onion. Scatter the brown sugar over this, and then pour in the apple juice. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 to 8. Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed carrots.

This is the recipe I'll be using every year from now on.
Suzy

3 comments:

  1. Suzy,
    That sounds like an interesting recipe. I am copying it. I make pork roast quite often and it would be nice to try a new version.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds positively delicious. I love sauerkraut and pork. I do something similar only I use the country style pork ribs with all the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you Suzy! That pork recipe sounds wonderful!! I love a good pork roast and that is different from anything I have tried. Thanks for sharing it us!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!