Ham and Cabbage












A few days after Christmas, I have a favorite recipe that I always make.
It's a great way to use up any leftover ham...

Ham and cabbage

Put the ham bone into a large soup pot. Fill the pot about half full with water. Heat the water to a rolling boil so that any ham left on the bone will cook off. Add half of a medium onion, chopped.

Boil for 45 minutes to an hour.Remove the bone and pull off any remaining ham with a fork. Discard the bone and put remaining ham back into the pot.

Add about 6 quartered potatoes. I used red ones because that's what I had on hand. Cook until potatoes are tender, then add half a head of cabbage, chopped in large pieces, and a bag of frozen green beans.
Hubby likes a thicker broth so I sprinkle in some instant mashed potatoes. (great as a thickener for soups and stews).
Make sure you make enough for leftovers because it's always better the second day after the flavors mingle!...Enjoy!
*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*
Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.
*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*=.=*
Be yourself...everyone else is taken!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy!! I never thought of adding instant mashed potatoes to thicken a broth. Thanks for that tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again. Your header didn't show up before I clicked on comments. When I went back to your page, there it was. That is a beautiful picture!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!